Monday, August 19, 2013

Roller Coaster



Lyme is a roller coaster.

I spent the first 2 years that I had Lyme in pretty good shape.  It interfered with my life more than I liked, but it didn't stop my life.  And then my life stopped.  For the past 16 months or so, I've been more or less a hermit, mostly only leaving the house to go to the grocery store (sometimes, when I am able) and the never-ending doctor's appointments.  No playdates with friends, no church on Sundays, no homeschool co-ops, and no family gatherings.  I'm so thankful that we have had such wonderful family and friends to help us through this time, bringing us groceries and medications, doing our laundry, and helping with our kids.

In the past month or so, I have started to feel better.  Last week I was flying high.  After a year and a half of sleeping at least 12 hours out of 24, including a nap almost every single day, I was able to go back to sleeping 8 hours at night and not a single nap all week!  I also used to wake up in moderate to severe pain every day, and I woke up with no to mild pain every day last week.  I was even able FINALLY to put in some time cleaning up and organizing the basement (yes, it was 7 months ago that it flooded...) and getting some things out to the garage to get ready for our garage sale.

Friday night I started to get bad.  Saturday was worse with a lot of pain and fatigue all day.  Then yesterday (Sunday) was the worst day I've had in months.  I spent a lot of the weekend in bed and had a ton of pain again.  Today is a little better than yesterday but still bad like I used to be.

As much as Lyme is a roller coaster physically, I think it's even more of a roller coaster mentally.  Even though I was used to feeling really crappy for nearly a year and a half, it hurts more this week after having a relatively good week last week.  I got a slight taste of "freedom" from the prison of Lyme, and now it's got a hold on me again.  I'm hoping this is just a fluke and I will continue on the upward trend I have been on for the past month.  I'm so ready to put this all behind me.

1 comment:

  1. I'm a mama of 3 with lyme & my heart aches for you & your family. I know how heavy & discouraging the journey & search for healing can be. I can attest to God's provision & faithful care & am praying for strength, grace, abundant provision * healing mercies for you all. I'm so sorry for all that you all are continuing to endure.

    ReplyDelete