Monday, February 11, 2013

Our Lyme Story - Part 1


Our Lyme story begins in 2008. Tim had recently started a great job with a big corporation, and we were thrilled to have just bought our first house with our young children who were 3 and 1 at the time. About 3 weeks after we bought our house Tim got really sick, and he hasn't been well since then. He spent the first 5 months of 2009 on disability from work, lying in bed and going to nearly 30 doctors, to no avail. He lost a bunch of weight, was in constant pain, and the former athlete couldn't even walk to the kitchen for a snack without needing a nap. I remember telling him through tears that we had to figure out what was going on with him or I was afraid he was going to die.

We eventually figured out that he was struggling with Lyme disease. In May of 2009 we had to travel to New Jersey from Minnesota with our kids to get him into a specialist who could help him. He began treatment then, and then he did 6 months of IV treatment in the spring and summer of 2010. The PICC line in his arm that was delivering his IV medications got infected so he had to have it removed. Since then he has been on oral medications as well as over a year and a half of twice-weekly Bicillin injections.

In early 2010, I, Rachel, started noticing a lot of the same symptoms Tim had in the beginning. I was diagnosed with Lyme in May of 2010. Lyme can be active in one's body but dormant, and there is a big risk of transferring Lyme to the baby during pregnancy. Our younger child was only 2.5 at the time so we had him tested as well. Sadly, he also had Lyme. We were now dealing with 3 out of the 4 of us in our family fighting this disease. Thankfully our daughter has remained healthy throughout all of this.

I was surprised to find out I was pregnant just 3 months into my Lyme treatment. Thankfully, I had a great doctor caring for me during my pregnancy. We had our baby tested at the time of his birth in May of 2011, and he did not get Lyme from me. Praise the Lord. I cried happy tears the day we got that news. :-)

to be continued...
(read Part 2 here )

No comments:

Post a Comment