Tuesday, October 29, 2013

We made it to the appointment!!!

Last time I updated I mentioned that we had an appointment for Tim with a new out of town doctor but that I wasn't sure he was going to be able to travel.  We made it!  Hallelujah!  It was a 3 hour drive each way and a very long appointment, so we decided to do an overnight.  I'm so glad we did.  It was an exhausting trip anyway, and I'm not sure we would have made it if we would have had to do it all in one day.

We both just loved the new doctor!  She was very kind and very thorough.  She did a very thorough interview first.  We had brought along a ridiculously huge binder with some of the past 5 years of Tim's medical history.  We weren't even able to collect all the records from all the hospitals, doctors and labs yet (we're still working on some of that) and we darn near filled an entire 2 inch binder.  Kind of sad.  Anyway, she took some time to look through all of the info we had brought as well as the mountain of paperwork we had brought that her office had sent us ahead of time.  She highlighted a bunch of things and asked us dozens of questions to get a better understanding of what has gone on since this started 5 long years ago.

After the verbal part of it, she did a thorough physical examination.  She is very old-school and was able to tell a lot by observing different reflexes, skin appearances, skin reaction to different sensations, etc.  It was fascinating to watch.

After all of that, they drew 14(!) tubes of blood.  She is doing all the normal blood tests (CBC, CMP, etc) as well as some interesting ones like food allergies, complete hormone panel, and mycotoxin panel, among others.  He will be doing a strict 2+ week food elimination diet to go along with the food allergy blood test.  It's possible that he will find food(s) that his body doesn't process well that could be inhibiting his healing.

The appointment that was supposed to last 3 hours lasted 4.5 hours.  Whew!  We were exhausted afterwards!

And now we wait...

We do the food testing on our own at home and record the results, and we wait for all the other test results to come rolling in.  We go back to see her next month to review all the test results and figure out a plan of action.

As I mentioned at the beginning, we really liked her a lot.  We both felt a great connection with her and feel that she has excellent potential to help Tim a lot on his healing journey.  Please join us in praying for these next steps for Tim.  He really needs a miracle and we are praying this is it!

Tuesday, October 15, 2013

We're Still Kickin'

We had pics taken of the kids last weekend.  Tim wasn't able to come, but I jumped into a pic with my sweet babies :-)

We're long overdue for an update around here, I know.  Life just gets in the way sometimes.  So, in no particular order, here is what is going on around here lately:

  • First off, Tim is still so sick, and he sometimes even appears to be getting worse.  These last 6 months or so have been a scary free fall for him.  We are trying to get in with a great new specialist who tends to see the toughest cases and often treats them with great success.  That's what Tim is, and that's what he needs.  However, it is hard to travel to see a doctor when Tim is so sick.  It's a never-ending merry-go-round ride that isn't very fun.  He can't get better (probably) if he doesn't see this doctor, but he can't see the doctor because he's too sick to travel.  We had an appointment scheduled for the middle of September but we weren't able to make it so we rescheduled.  The next appointment is coming up next week, but it remains to be seen if he will actually make it to that one.  If you feel so inclined, please pray for us as we take these next steps.  He is so miserable and could really use some encouragement and healing.
  • Andrew had been doing fairly well off his meds, but then he had another tick bite in July.  Bummer.  We had him on another month of antibiotics then to be safe, and then he seemed OK for a few weeks after that.  And then he wasn't.  He started showing a lot of his symptoms hard and fast in the end of August.  For now, we have him on an herbal protocol recommended by our doctor.  We are hoping that we will be able to keep his tiny body from any more assault from antibiotics.  We'll continue to monitor how he is doing on the herbs and go from there.  For now he seems to be handling them well and seeing some improvement.
  • After a rough year and a half for me, I finally had a big jump in the middle of July.  I thought I would continue to see improvement, but that hasn't really happened.  Lyme really is a roller coaster.  I have been off my IV for nearly 3 months now.  The good news is that I haven't had much back-sliding, though I have had some.  The bad news is that I haven't continued the upward trend I was on.  I did another juice fast in mid-September to see if that might help, but it didn't.  I guess that was a bad idea.  I am continuing with the Wellness Pro, and I have also recently started the same herbs that Andrew is on.  I am really hopeful that these things will help and I don't have to go back on antibiotics.  That is my goal, but I will not be a martyr to it.  If it becomes clear that what I am doing isn't working I will talk to my doctor about what my options are.  I have an appointment with him in less than a month to discuss these last few months of completely changing course.  I'm interested to hear his thoughts on how things are going.
  • We started our homeschool year in early September, and we're having a great year!  Sarah is in 3rd grade and Andrew is in kindergarten.  They are both loving their work, and I LOVE the program!  In case anyone is wondering, the program we are using can be found at allinonehomeschool.com.
Sorry again for the delay in getting this update out.  I hope to update more after our upcoming appointment(s).